WELCOME TO LABORERS' LOCAL #373
Located in beautiful Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the City of Champions, we are a labor union that represents close to 2,000 workers in all phases of construction. Founded back in 1964, our union has been involved in some of the biggest projects in the area, including the airport, the new sports stadiums, skyscrapers, and countless other projects, both large and small.
Our jurisdiction covers Allegheny County. We are affiliated with the Laborers' District Council of Western Pennsylvania, a subsidiary of LiUNA(Laborers' International Union of North America). We also are affiliated with the local, state, and national Building Trades, as well as the local, state, and national AFL-CIO organization.
WHAT WE DO: We tend other building tradesman on large commercial projects, both public and private, as well as city, county, and private housing projects. Duties our members perform may include concrete work, forklift driving, scaffold building, etc... Our laborers are well-trained in the environmental field as well, servicing our asbestos removal, lead remediation, and hazardous waste contractors.
LABORERS' COMBINED FUNDS IS MOVING!
WORKING FAMILIES RALLY OCTOBER 29. ALL HANDS ON DECK!
Thank you to all of our members and their families who attended the Rally on October 29. It was fantastic to see the sea of orange as we came to together as one to show our support and solidarity for one another. Thank you to all the speakers as well, who showed the leadership, conviction, and passion through the words that they spoke to unite us under one cause: to support our jobs, our way of life, and our dedication to our union and our movement.
STRENGHTH IN UNION VIDEO!
This is a link to a short trailer(about 8 minutes) for a film that is being produced telling the history of the American Labor Movement. Please watch this trailer, and hopefully the film when it's released, to get an understanding of what the Labor Movement is all about and why it has played such an important role in history, and will continue to play a role in progressing this country forward now and in the future.
ONE OF OUR OWN GETS A GLOWING REVIEW IN MARYLAND!
SHELL COMMITS TO BUILDING CRACKER PLANT IN BEAVER COUNTY!
Great news today! Shell has finally said yes to Beaver County and has committed to build the much anticipated Cracker Plant. We have been hoping and praying for this good news to come our way for a few years now, and today marks the day Shell has made this happen. Here's a link to an article explaining the decision, the amount of jobs, etc... we can expect. Click on the picture to find out more!!!!
Photo Credit: KDKA Picture shows site where plant will be built.
MONTHLY MEETING LOCATION CHANGED!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: As of January 5, 2016, please be advised that the monthly meeting location has been changed! We will now be meeting at the Boilermakers Local #154 building located on Banksville Road. You can find a map and get directions by visiting the Meetings link under the ABOUT US section of this website, or by clicking here: Union Meetings. The meeting time is still 8:00pm.
This charitable fund was created to assist the families of LIUNA
members in the Ohio Valley and Southern States Region who have been
seriously injured on the job and are unable to work, or in the most
unfortunate circumstance, lose their lives while working as Laborers.
Laborers’ CARE offers immediate financial support (up to five thousand dollars) to ensure an individual’s short-term obligations are met, i.e. - the rent is paid, food is in the house, truck/car payments made, and of course the needs of children are met.
It is the goal of Laborers’ CARE to assist Laborers’ families through these most difficult times. To download the Laborers' Care donation request form. Click here.
Laborers’ CARE relies on the goodwill of individuals through voluntary donations and sponsorship of its annual Great Smoky Mountain Motorcycle Rally event to raise funds to fulfill its mission. Register Here.
Content copyright 2016. Laborers' CARE. All rights reserved.
2017 UNION DUES INCREASE
PLEASE NOTE: In accordance with the General Executive Board at the Twenty-fifth Convention of the Laborer's International Union, the following changes were adopted and will become effective January 1, 2017:
MONTHLY DUES SHALL BE $37.00 PER MONTH
RETIREE'S DUES SHALL REMAIN AT $10.00 PER MONTH
Please see our "DUES PAGE" for more information.
REMINDER: 1095 FORMS HAVE BEEN SENT OUT!
Just a friendly reminder that your 1095 Forms have been sent out. You should be receiving them in the mail sometime this week. This form simply shows that you were provided healthcare coverage by your employer for the 2015 tax year. Please take it with you when you file your tax returns!
LIUNA LEADERS LOBBY TO PROTECT WAGES & PENSIONS, INVEST IN INFRASTRUCTURE!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: (202) 942-2246 or firstname.lastname@example.org
LIUNA Leaders from Across U.S. Lobby Congress to Protect Wages, Healthcare and Pensions; Invest in Energy, Water, and Transportation Infrastructure
Washington, D.C. (April 19, 2016) – Local leaders of LIUNA – the Laborers’ International Union of North America – spread out across Capitol Hill today, lobbying their members of Congress on behalf of the union’s half-million members.
The leaders – about 100 who visited 200 Congressional offices – were in Washington as part of the North American Building Trades Union Legislative Conference. Their Hill visits came immediately after an appearance at the conference by U.S. Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton.
“We’re proud of the enthusiasm and energy our leaders demonstrated today on behalf of the men and women who build our country,” LIUNA General President Terry O’Sullivan said. “It will be difficult for members of Congress – both Democrats and Republicans – to ignore the voices of these leaders, who represent constituents back home.”
Participants, who represent workers predominantly in the construction industry, discussed key issues, including:
· Defending the family-supporting Davis-Bacon Act, which protects workers and taxpayers by preventing tax money from being used to drive down living and construction standards on federal projects. A bi-partisan coalition in Congress continues to defend the Act against extremist Republican attacks.
· Supporting the jobs-creating clean energy boom driven by the use of natural gas as a bridge fuel to renewable energy forms. Leaders told members of Congress that natural gas extraction and pipeline work is a lifeline to the middle-class for thousands of workers, while also reducing climate-changing carbon emissions.
· Repealing the so-called “Cadillac tax,” which unfairly undermines the healthcare plans of millions of Americans. Late last year, Congress passed a delay in the 40-percent tax, which employers and health fund officials predict would ultimately effect 82 percent of healthcare plans, driving up costs and reducing coverage.
· Blocking premium increases for the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation. The increases, rather than strengthening pension plans, will weaken healthy plans and further damage struggling plans. In 2014, Congress hiked the premium by more than 100 percent and it is expected that the PBGC will ask for another increase. LIUNA leaders told lawmakers that even with premium increases, the PBGC will remain insolvent and unable to protect pensions.
· Passing comprehensive immigration reform and opposing construction industry guest worker programs. Leaders stressed the need to protect U.S. borders and oppose unnecessary temporary worker programs, while also passing reform that provides an earned path to citizenship for those undocumented workers who are already in the country.
· Increasing investment in the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure, including in water resources and transportation. Leaders urged members of Congress to build on the multi-year Highway Bill passed in 2015 to fix the nation’s roads, bridges and transit systems. They pressed members to increase investment in water resources, including waterways used for transportation and energy, and investment to improve the supply of safe drinking water.“LIUNA members and our nation face pressing issues and we are appealing to Congress to take action,” O’Sullivan said. “Fixing our roads and bridges, ensuring an adequate energy infrastructure, defending healthcare and pensions, and enacting comprehensive immigration reform are not partisan problems. The people expect members of Congress to do their jobs and address these issues.”
MESSAGE FROM UNION EDGE RADIO SHOW THANKING LOCAL 373!
"FUTURE ROAD BUILDERS" WEBSITE IS LAUNCHED!
The Constructors Association of Western Pennsylvania(CAWP) has launched a new workforce development website geared to younger individuals, which can be found at: http://www.futureroadbuilders.com. The website centers around the career awareness tool, Future Road Builders, which offers users the ability to find out what it would be like to be a Laborer, Carpenter, Cement Mason, Operator, Pile Driver, and Teamster.
The website offers everything a person would need to pursue a career in the highway Trades in Western Pennyslyvania and is separated into the following sections:
1) EXPLORE: Provides links to the Future Road Builders Program and also includes pictures of the various phases of construction that occurs on our members projects.
2) PLAY: Provides links to three skill games that simulate rebar tying, traffic control, and operating an excavator.
3) LEARN: Provides information to students, teachers, and parents about the opportunities in highway construction in Western PA.
4) TRAIN: Provides information on the various Trades and includes information on and links to the various Joint Apprenticeship Programs.
5) WORK: Provides contact information to persons who are seeking a job in the Trades and who already have experience.
Please check the website out for more information. Be sure to tell anyone you know who may be interested in a career about it too!
ALL NEW TRAINING CENTER APPLE & ANDROID APP!!!
The Training Center is now offering an all new version of it's mobile phone app, compatible with both Apple and Android smartphones and tablets. Keep up-to-date with all the latest Training Center news, schedules and much more. You can download it from the Apple or Google Play store simply by searching for "laborer" or "laborers", then scroll down to install it. Or you can simply click on the banner below and download it from there! NOTE: If you are an existing user of the Android version of the app, please delete the old version first!
LOCAL #373 OFFICERS UNOPPOSED AT NOMINATION NIGHT
At this time, we would like to inform you that at the completion of Nomination Night, there were no officers with opposition. The membership has spoken once again and confirms for the third consecutive term that they believe in their leadership. Thank you for all that you do to make Local #373 one of the strongest locals in the country!
SUCCESSFUL STEWARD CLASSES HELD AT TRAINING CENTER
The Local would like to thank all of the Union Stewards that attended classes on Saturday, February 28 and Sunday, March 1. A lot of valuable information was given to all those who attended, with speakers including President and Business Manager of the District Council Philip Ameris, and Dawn Botsford, Director of our Combined Funds. We would also like to thank the Training Center, including Administrator Marc Ferrari, Instructors Stan Plutnicki & Lee Kontis for all their hard work and advice, as well as Tina Green for providing lunch. Thank you to all who made this a very successful weekend of training!
A LETTER FROM YOUR BUSINESS MANAGER, BILL BROOKS!
For the better part of my life I have been fortunate to have had union representation, twenty seven of those years with Laborers Local 373. I have been a registered democrat since I graduated high school and still am. The Laborers District Council of Western Pa. has always made decisions based on the welfare of the hard working people they represent, the endorsement of Gov. Tom Corbett was made based on his willingness to move legislation forward that was vital to our members and actually the safety of all of us regarding our roads, bridges, tunnels, water treatment facilities, etc.. Without the cooperation between Tom Corbett and Philip Ameris, the President and Business Manager of our organization, also he is ELECTED by his peers, because of his unconditional loyalty and steadfast leadership for his members. He leads by example in his work and his community, this I know because I have worked with him for almost two decades, the choice of candidates are based on people willing to put aside party issues, and help our members continue to work, continue to have medical and pension benefits and continue to live a decent life, nothing more, nothing less.
Business Manager Laborers Local 373 / President Pittsburgh Regional Building Trades Council
ALLEGHENY COUNTY LABOR MAN OF THE YEAR!
On May 16, 2014, Business Manager Bill Brooks was recognized as the 2014 Allegheny County Labor Man of the Year! Because of his dedication and commitment to helping not only the Laborer's, but all of the crafts, Mr. Brooks was a great choice for this award and has made Local 373 proud! Congratulations and keep up the good work on behalf of all the members!
NOTICE TO MEMBERS ABOUT DUES REMINDER LETTERS!
We are very sorry for the inconvenience it may cause you; however, we are no longer permitted to send reminder notices for late dues per the LIUNA Constitution, Article VIII, Section 4 which states:
The monthly dues are due on the first day of the month and unless paid on or before the last day of the following month, the member shall be deemed suspended by the International Union without notice.
Please remember to keep up to date with your monthly dues. If they are being deducted by a contractor, please send a copy of your paystub to the union hall. As always, if there are any questions, please contact the office.
WILLIAM BROOKS MATTHEW McHUGH
Business Manager Secretary-Treasurer
OCCUPATIONAL PHYSICALS NOW BEING OFFERED AT TRAINING CENTER!
TO ALL MEMBERS: After a long time in the planning stages, Occupational Physicals for Asbestos Workers are now being offered at the Training Center in Saxonburg. At this time, unfortunately, this is a two-day procedure, due to the x-ray process, among other things. The Training Center is working hard to make this a one-day offering. Day 1 includes the x-ray & pulmonary test. Day 2 is the actual physical. You must complete both days in order to have a complete Occupational Physical! Be sure to schedule for BOTH days when you call!
Upcoming dates will be soon to follow. YOU MUST CALL TO SCHEDULE A TIME FOR YOUR PHYSICAL, REGARDLESS IF YOU'RE TAKING A REFRESHER THAT DAY OR NOT!! This is a great opportunity for those who need it to get it done while you're up here already. Please take advantage of this and schedule your Occupational Physical today!
WHAT HAVE LABOR UNIONS DONE FOR US, AND FOR ALL!
|1) WEEKENDS WITHOUT WORK||2) ALL BREAKS AT WORK, INCLUDING YOUR LUNCH BREAK!|
|3) PAID VACATIONS||4) FAMILY & MEDICAL LEAVE ACT(FMLA)|
|5) SICK LEAVE||6) SOCIAL SECURITY|
|7) MINIMUM WAGE||8) CIVIL RIGHTS ACT/TITLE VII - PROHIBITS EMPLOYER DISCRIMINATION|
|9) 8-HR WORK DAY||10) OVERTIME PAY|
|11) CHILD LABOR LAWS||12) OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH ACT(OSHA)|
|13) 40-HR WORK WEEK||14) WORKERS' COMPENSATION(WORKERS' COMP)|
|15) UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE||16) PENSIONS|
|17) WORKPLACE SAFETY STANDARDS & REGULATIONS||18) EMPLOYER HEALTH CARE INSURANCE|
|19) COLLECTIVE BARGAINING RIGHTS FOR EMPLOYEES||20) WRONGFUL TERMINATION LAWS|
|21) AGE DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT ACT OF 1967(ADEA)||22) WHISTLEBLOWER PROCTECTION LAWS|
|23) EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT(EPPA) - PROHIBITS EMPLOYERS FROM USING A LIE DETECTOR TEST ON AN EMPLOYEE|
|24) VETERAN'S EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING SERVICES(VETS)||25) COMPENSATION INCREASES AND EVALUATIONS(i.e. RAISES)|
|26) SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAWS||27) AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT(ADA)|
|28) HOLIDAY PAY||29) EMPLOYER DENTAL, LIFE, AND VISION INSURANCE|
|30) PRIVACY RIGHTS||31) PREGNANCY AND PARENTAL LEAVE|
|32) MILITARY LEAVE||33) THE RIGHT TO STRIKE|
|34) PUBLIC EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN||35) LAWS ENDING SWEATSHOPS IN THE UNITED STATES|
|36) EQUAL PAY ACTS OF 1963 & 2011 - REQUIRES EMPLOYERS PAY MEN & WOMEN EQUALLY FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF WORK|
LiUNA ACTION NETWORK
Join the LiUNA Action Network to get political related updates, provided through your union. Simply click the picture below and type in your email address.
- NEW!! NEXT UNION MEETING: FEBRUARY 7
- NEW!! UNDERCOVER BOSS TV SHOW HIGHLIGHTS CITY, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, ITS WORKERS!
- NEW!! MARCELLUS SHALE CREATED 45,000 TRADE JOBS!
- WATCH A VIDEO ABOUT HOW ABC CONTRACTORS ARE SCREWING THE AMERICAN WORKER!
- LIUNA LAUNCHES "GETTING SCHOOLED IN INFRASTRUCTURE" TOUR
- WELLNESS PROFILES AND PHYSICALS NOW OFFERED AT THE TRAINING CENTER!!!
- REPUBLICANS ONCE AGAIN GOING AFTER OUR RIGHT TO ORGANIZE!
- GET RID OF UNIONS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!
- VETERANS LUNCHEON
- TRAINING CENTER ANDROID PHONE APP
- LOCAL #373 AND THE TRAINING CENTER ARE NOW ON FACEBOOK
- QUALIFYING FOR THE PREMIER PLAN OF BENEFITS
- CHANGES TO TRAINING CENTER ASBESTOS NOTIFICATION LETTERS
- 2013 CHANGES TO UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION IN PENNSYLVANIA
- VETERANS HOSPITALS DEALING WITH NOT USING PLA'S; NOW DEALING WIH MAJOR ISSUES
- REPUBLICANS ATTACK ASBESTOS LICENSING!
- REPUBLICAN TURZAI GOING AFTER PREVAILING WAGE
- I.C.R.A. TRAINING MANDATORY FOR UPMC HOSPITALS
- LABOR DAY PARADE 2016 PICTURES
- FIND MY LEGISLATOR / LiUNA BUILDS AMERICA